MAP incorporated on January 30th, 1981 to "educate the general public in the area of contemporary visual art being produced by Maryland artists through exhibitions and performances, public relations and advertising, serving as an information center for Maryland artists and coordinating activities of other art-oriented institutions and organizations in Maryland." MAP remains a relevant and important contributor in the success of Maryland artists as our cultural ecosystem has expanded in the Baltimore region to national and international heights.
- MAP is one of the largest professional level contemporary art galleries in the city of Baltimore outside of the museums.
- MAP maintains a rigorous exhibition schedule and also has an on-going temporary public art program called IMPACT.
- MAP affordably leases spaces throughout its 20,000 square foot building to artists and creative businesses/& start-ups.
- MAP has an annual internship program that offers school accreditation.
- MAP also offers fiscal agency to mission compatible artists and businesses seeking opportunities that require a 501 c) 3 status or have donors who enjoy the tax benefits of giving.
- MAP also has a basement Cabaret its renovating in the spirit of its founding principles 'to support Baltimore's sub culture' ~ a venue for artists of all kinds, a true cabaret.
- MAP directly serves 400-600 artists each year and is the manager of the Maryland State Artist Directory on behalf of the Maryland State Arts Council.