Kick off the start of the climbing season! June 1, the community will gather in the home of the American Alpine Club for a festival celebrating all things climbing. Complete with carnival games, tours of the American Mountaineering Museum, an Open Air Vendor Village, food trucks and local beverages - the Excellence in Climbing Celebration has something for everyone! The highlight is inducting inspirational climbing heroes into the Hall of Mountaineering Excellence (H.o.M.E.).
**Registration opens April 4th.
Why We Gather
While it's an opportunity to celebrate, the Excellence in Climbing evening also serves to raise funds vital to the two organizations in the United States charged with preserving climbing history: The Henry S. Hall American Alpine Library and the Bradford Washburn American Mountaineering Museum. Established in 1916, the AAC Library has long been a launchpad for expeditions, a place to share stories, and a resource to inspire the future and protect the past. With the addition of the American Mountaineering Museum in 2009, these artifacts found a home where anyone - from the most seasoned Everest climber to the third-grader with her first harness - can soak in the stories of the past.
Together the AAC Library and American Mountaineering Museum keep our mountaineering history alive by preserving and sharing over 100,000 artifacts, photographs, publications and historical papers.
3-7pm: Block Party
- Carnival games, open air vendor village, food trucks, beer, raffle, and silent auction
- Tours of the Mountaineering Museum
6-7pm: Patron Reception
- Cocktail reception with a VIP behind the scenes tour of the AAC's Museum and Library.
- Open to Patron Ticket purchasers.
7:30pm: Presentations and Honorees
- Honoring the 2019 Hall of Mountaineering Excellence inductees
- Keynote presentation: Kelly Cordes, acclaimed climber and writer