The Dominican Sisters of Hope have committed their lives to living and preaching the Gospel message of Hope.
Founded in 1995 from communities in Newburgh, New York; Fall River, Massachusetts; and Ossining, New York, they are now based out of The Center at Mariandale, with sisters living in nine states and Puerto Rico.
The Dominican Sisters of Hope express their core values by living interdependently with all of creation, committing to actions for justice, and fostering the Dominican charism. In the tradition of Saint Dominic, they focus their lives on prayer, study, ministry, and community. While traditionally teachers and nurses, the sisters are everything from gymnasts to beekeepers to poets, and more.
In 2018, they preserved 34 acres of the Mariandale property, conserving a nearly 1-mile stretch of shoreline along the Hudson River. The retreat center and the land make Mariandale a source of healing for body, mind, and spirit, as well as a place of refuge for all of creation.
In 1883, four Dominican Sisters established Mount Saint Mary Academy in Newburgh. In 1959, Mount Saint Mary College opened. Sr. Ann Sakac served as the president from 1976-2008, and Sr. Agnes Boyle served as the VP of Academic Advancement for 30 years. Other sisters served as faculty, and many earned their degrees from the Mount. The sisters continue to minister to students, as the college continues to bring life to the sisters' legacy and mission. The Dominican Sisters of Hope are proud to honor the heritage of the founding of Mount Saint Mary College.