The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History is excited to invite you to support a competitive membership drive between Divine Nine organizations. A quote from Dr. Charles H. Wright, founder of the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History reads, "...this isn't my museum, this is OUR museum." As some of the most recognizable leaders in the African American community, we ask for your support to preserve institutions like ours, that hold our history and culture sacred.
We are asking all Divine Nine organizations to encourage their members to join The Wright with special Divine Nine Individual ($75) or Family ($125) two-year membership packages.
Founded in 1965, Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History has, for more than 50 years, been a leading institution dedicated to the African American experience. Our mission is to open minds and change lives through the exploration and celebration of African American history and culture. The Wright Museum houses over 35,000 artifacts and archival materials and is home to the Blanche Coggin Underground Railroad Collection, Harriet Tubman Museum Collection, Coleman A. Young Collection and the Sheffield Collection, a repository of documents of the labor movement in Detroit.
Our overarching goal is to secure 10,000 new members for The Wright by 2022. As a first step, from February 1st through March 31st, we are launching a competitive membership drive by offering Divine Nine organizations the following special benefits:
- Free unlimited admission for one adult at the Individual Level or two adults and up to four children under the age of 18 for the Family Level;
- One single-visit guest pass at the Individual Level or two single-visit guest passes at the Family Level;
- 10% Discount on Museum Store purchases;
- Discounted pricing on select museum special events;
- Invitations to members-only exhibition previews; and
- Free admission to a mosaic of 1,137 art museums and galleries, historical museums and societies, botanical gardens, children's museums, zoos and more through the North American Reciprocal Museums Program (normally reserved for the $150 Contributor Level memberships and above).
Divine Nine memberships may also be given as gifts.
In addition, and only for the Divine Nine membership drive, each new member will receive a "This is OUR museum" t-shirt designed using the colors representing their Divine Nine organization.
As a competitive membership drive, the organization securing the most new memberships will also receive:
- Bragging rights for one (1) year, supported by a press release issued by the museum and recognition on The Wright's website and social media; and
- Four (4) tickets for Detroit chapter representatives to The Wright Gala Masquerade Ball on Saturday October 3, 2020.
We do hope you will support our effort to connect more people with The Wright. Much like your organization, our vision is of a world in which the adversity and achievement of African American history, inspires everyone toward greater understanding, acceptance and unity!