No bids or purchases accepted at this time.
"A sketch and notes defining the bounds of adjacent territories of Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware, in accord with the final partitioning of royal grants to Lord Baltimore and William Penn." by Wilbur T. Wilson (1856-1941)
When Wilbur T. Wilson died, his estate bequeathed his collections (late 1880s to 1941) of plans, notebooks, ledgers, directories, narratives and approximately 500 maps to the University of Delaware Library's Special Collections Department. A lifelong resident of Newark, Wilson was a civil engineer, surveyor and book seller. According to an obituary in the July 23, 1942 edition of the Newark Post, "Mr. Wilson served the town of Newark as town engineer for many years and served, at one time, on the Town Council. Always interested in Newark's growth and development, he was admired and respected by all who knew him. It has often been said that Wilbur Wilson knew more about Newark property and real estate than any other man." and noted that "Mr. Wilson maintained quarters at the Deer Park Hotel for 41 years."
In his waning years Wilson lived at 257 W. Main Street. During this time in the late 1930s Wilson shared his Sketch and Notes map with a W. Main Street neighbor, the grandfather of a Brandywine Committee supporter.
This expertly framed, high-resolution copy of Wilber T. Wilson's Sketch and Notes map is truly a Delaware historical treasure. This masterwork speaks volumes of Wilson's diligent research, coupled with his refined skillset and extraordinary attention to detail.Enjoy!